Dr. Balder felt that Robotic Weight Loss Surgery Techniques were at a level of improved patient care and sees a vision for future single incision (SILS) Robotic platforms that will far exceed what we currently can offer from a the current SILS platforms for patient care. He was trained in early 2011 and began offering Robotic Weight Loss Surgery techniques for patients. He is listed as a Robotic General and Bariatric Surgeon on the Da Vinci Website.
Dr. Balder offers the following procedures with the Da Vinci Robotic platform of Robotic Assistance:
- "I LAP" or "I-BAND®"" or Imbricated LAP-BAND®
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Revisional Weight Loss Surgery
Potential advantages of Laparoscopic Robotic Assisted Weight Loss Surgery:
- Three dimentional visualization of patient internal anatomy allows for more precise suturing and potentially decreased tissue damage during surgery and possibly a decrease in the procedure associated peri-operative complications.
- Possible less pain than most standard laparoscopic weight loss surgeries.
Disadvantages of Laparoscopic Robotic Assisted Weight Loss Surgery:
- Operative time of the individual surgical procedures may be longer than that seen in traditional weight loss surgeries.
- Possibly increased expense of procedures performed with Robotic Assistance.